Courtesy of the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram, June 24, 2012
May 23, 1917
Gillette Safety Tire Co. produces its first tire.
Rubber Workers Union No. 16454 forms with 285 members.
Experiencing financial trouble, the company reorganizes under new management.
United Rubber Workers of America Local 19 forms.
U.S. Rubber acquires controlling interest of the company. The plant retains the Gillette Tire Co. name.
The government buys the plant, converting the facility into an ammunition factory.
Aug. 17, 1942
Eau Claire Ordnance Plant opens. At its peak, it employs 6,200 workers; 61 percent are women.
The factory receives an Army-Navy “E” Award for excellence in production.
Dec. 31, 1943
U.S. Rubber repurchases the property for $1,025,000.
Production of synthetic rubber tires resumes.
The factory size doubles. The plant employs 4,400 workers, churning out 20,000 tires daily.
The company builds a 77,000-square-foot addition.
The facility expands, making the plant the nation’s third largest tire factory.
U.S. Rubber subsidiaries consolidate under the Uniroyal name.
Company employees join a nationwide strike stretching 97 days.
Uniroyal and B.F. Goodrich Co. merge.
Michelin Group buys Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Co
June 26, 1992
The factory closes, displacing 1,358 workers.
Aug. 1, 1992
Eau Claire developers Bill Cigan and Jack Kaiser buy the property, renaming it Banbury Place.